"No such file or directory" for new datasource
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 15:39:04 UTC
Hi any ideas why when i goto add new graphs, it does not generate the
rrd ? I have to run the command manually each time !

I have graphs that share the same datasource, so when adding the
second graph i have to add that graph in the graph maintainance area
and tell it to locate to the already added datasource or else it will
duplicate the datasource trying to create a new one !!!

RRDTool Command:
/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Localhost - Red5 - Connections" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="connections" \
--slope-mode \
--font TITLE:12: \
--font AXIS:8: \
--font LEGEND:10: \
--font UNIT:8: \
DEF:a="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_98.rrd":MaxConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_98.rrd":ActiveConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:c="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_98.rrd":TotalConnections:AVERAGE \
LINE1:a#FF0000FF:"Max" \
GPRINT:a:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:a:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" \
AREA:b#0000FFFF:"Active" \
GPRINT:b:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:b:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:b:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" \
LINE2:c#00FF00FF:"Total" \
GPRINT:c:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:c:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:c:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"
RRDTool Says:
ERROR: opening '/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_98.rrd': No such file or directory
Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 15:47:24 UTC
Make sure the user running the cmd.php cron job has write permissions to
the /var/www/web4/web/rra/ directory......

Run the following so that we can verify the permissions of the
directory, also please provide us with the user running the cron job
cmd.php, and the groups that user is a part of:

Lets rule out any small permissions issues

ls -al /var/www/web4/web
Nick Vetro | Unix Administrator | UGO Networks, Inc.
670 Broadway 2nd Floor | New York, NY 10012
t. 212.624.3436 | ***@ugo.com | AIM: Duke3DLand

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:05:31 UTC
I dont have anything cronned, im just running poller.php which is
suppose to run the spine program , is it cmd.php im suppose to run ?
no idea i just create a graph and go and check it and thats what i
receive, i consider that a bug if it's sitting there waiting for cron
to run, as its just a blank image for the end user for quite a while
don't you think ?

I just redid the graph, ran cmd.php manually and got this

07/29/2008 01:57:53 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: There are no items in
your poller for this polling cycle!

So it shouldn't have to wait all that time just to get the graph up
you think ?

Anyway once i generate the datasource manually, i'm also having
datasource update problems. rrd is displaying nan for the graphs even
though ive attempted to add data directly, something is up there

/usr/bin/rrdtool update /var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd --template
ActiveConnections:TotalConnections:MaxConnections:ActiveClients:TotalClients:MaxClients:ActiveSubscopes:TotalSubscopes:MaxSubscopes
1217260808:1:26:1:1:22:1:0:0:0

rrdtool fetch /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd
AVERAGE

shows all nan's !

Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:14:26 UTC
ok you should never really run poller.php manually, if you are going to
run it manually on the command line run cmd.php....when you run cmd.php
it takes your poller setting from the cacti GUI and runs that, its
either spine or cmd.php as your poller....if your running into issues
where it can only run once every 5 min add the --force flag to the end
of the command:

IE: php <cactipath>/cmd.php --force

Please set your UI to either cmd.php or spine......it should create the
rrd in in one poll and start graphing data in 1 or 2 polls....Try
that...add a new host....add some graphs and see if the rrd files are
created when you tune the poller manually on the command line. Reply
back with your results, you shouldn't have to create the rrd's
manually...let cmd.php do it....

So agian....regardless if ur running cmd.php or spine as your poller
cmd.php should always be the cron command or manual command you use to
execute the poller. Let us know.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:22:57 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 2:14 AM, Nick Vetro wrote:

> ok you should never really run poller.php manually, if you are going
> run it manually on the command line run cmd.php....when you run
> cmd.php
> it takes your poller setting from the cacti GUI and runs that, its
> either spine or cmd.php as your poller....if your running into issues
> where it can only run once every 5 min add the --force flag to the end
> of the command:
>
> IE: php <cactipath>/cmd.php --force
>
> Please set your UI to either cmd.php or spine......it should create
> the
> rrd in in one poll and start graphing data in 1 or 2 polls....

Its setup for using spine. Running cmd did the job thanks sorry not
documented anywhere.

Still need to work out how to get cacti to use the same datasource for
graphs that share the same datasource instead of duplicating one.
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:29:21 UTC
No i just created a new graph again after removing the old one and ran
cmd.php still same problem

php cmd.php --force
-1
/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Localhost - Red5 - Connections" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="connections" \
--slope-mode \
--font TITLE:12: \
--font AXIS:8: \
--font LEGEND:10: \
--font UNIT:8: \
DEF:a="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_100.rrd":MaxConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_100.rrd":ActiveConnections:AVERAGE \
localhost_activeconnections_100.rrd': No such file or directory
Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:31:47 UTC
turn your log level in cacti settings to debug or high and see what the
error is, also switch back to cmd.php poller in the settings to rule out
any spine issues....

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:40:10 UTC
I had the log level to debug now set to high, changed poller to
cmd.php. I dont get any debug info at all

php cmd.php --force-***@beasty:/var/www/cacti.electroteque.org/web#

running

php poller.php gives me this though

php poller.php
07/29/2008 02:38:06 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: Poller Int: '10',
Cron Int: '60', Time Since Last: '3436', Max Runtime '58', Poller
Runs: '6'
07/29/2008 02:38:06 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of
sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '10' seconds,
with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 3436 seconds have passed
since the last poll!
07/29/2008 02:38:06 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1086 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
07/29/2008 02:38:16 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1072 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
07/29/2008 02:38:26 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1070 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
07/29/2008 02:38:36 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1071 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
07/29/2008 02:38:46 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1077 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
07/29/2008 02:38:56 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1097 Method:cmd.php
Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0

permissions for rra is

drwxrwxrwx 2 cactiweb web4 4096 2008-07-29 02:30 rra

where would i find permission errors ?

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:18:09 UTC
Here is the output finally from cmd.php, its calling the custom data
input script, however the graph is still showing up as nan

07/29/2008 02:13:46 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] PING: Host is alive
07/29/2008 02:13:47 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[99] CMD: /var/
www/web4/web/scripts/JMXManager/red5manager.sh -h localhost -b
org.red5.server:type=GlobalScope,name=default -c ActiveConnections -c
TotalConnections -c MaxConnections -c ActiveClients -c TotalClients -c
MaxClients -c ActiveSubscopes -c TotalSubscopes -c MaxSubscopes,
output: ActiveConnections:0 TotalConnections:25 MaxConnections:1
ActiveClients:0 TotalClients:25 MaxClients:1 ActiveSubscopes:0
TotalSubscopes:0 MaxSubscopes:0
07/29/2008 02:13:47 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 0.5830 s, Theads: N/
A, Hosts: 2

here is the output of the create command

/usr/bin/rrdtool create \
/var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd \
--step 300 \
DS:ActiveConnections:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:MaxConnections:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:TotalConnections:COUNTER:600:0:U \
DS:ActiveClients:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:MaxClients:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:TotalClients:COUNTER:600:0:U \
DS:ActiveSubscopes:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:MaxSubscopes:GAUGE:600:0:U \
DS:TotalSubscopes:COUNTER:600:0:U \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:500 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:500 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \

here is the output of the graph command

/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Localhost - Connections" \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="connections" \
--slope-mode \
--font TITLE:12: \
--font AXIS:8: \
--font LEGEND:10: \
--font UNIT:8: \
DEF:a="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":MaxConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":MaxConnections:MAX \
DEF:c="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":ActiveConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:d="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":ActiveConnections:MAX \
DEF:e="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":TotalConnections:AVERAGE \
DEF:f="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_99.rrd":TotalConnections:MAX \
LINE1:a#FF0000FF:"Max" \
GPRINT:a:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:b:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" \
AREA:c#0000FFFF:"Active" \
GPRINT:c:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:c:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:d:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n" \
LINE2:e#00FF00FF:"Total" \
GPRINT:e:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:e:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:f:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"
Still shows up as nan !

Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:25:04 UTC
ok good....we got around any cacti specific issues you were
having...what happens when you run that shell script from the command
line as the cacti user? I want to see the output....NAN means the query
for data did not work........IE: like when you poll an OID for a
specific item on system like interface stats, if the mib (data) does not
exist it will still create the graph but no data and will list
NAN....post the result of you running that command via the command line
as the cacti user please.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:35:43 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 2:25 AM, Nick Vetro wrote:

> ok good....we got around any cacti specific issues you were
> having...what happens when you run that shell script from the command
> line as the cacti user? I want to see the output....NAN means the
> query
> for data did not work........IE: like when you poll an OID for a
> specific item on system like interface stats, if the mib (data) does
> not
> exist it will still create the graph but no data and will list
> NAN....post the result of you running that command via the command
> line
> as the cacti user please.

Yeah sorry it was my bad the second graph was using the datasource
already created from the first graph, but i have to jump hoops there,
and create it from the graph management area and select its
datasources manually !

/var/www/web4/web/scripts/JMXManager/red5manager.sh -h localhost -b
org.red5.server:type=GlobalScope,name=default -c ActiveConnections -c
TotalConnections -c MaxConnections -c ActiveClients -c TotalClients -c
MaxClients -c ActiveSubscopes -c TotalSubscopes -c MaxSubscopes

the output is, i sent it in the poller debug before, its a custom java
application i had to build to obtain JMX management information
because i needed much more than the simple snmp adaptor provided.

ActiveConnections:1 TotalConnections:27 MaxConnections:1 ActiveClients:
1 TotalClients:27 MaxClients:1 ActiveSubscopes:0 TotalSubscopes:0
MaxSubscopes:0
Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:40:18 UTC
Not really sure how cacti will poll that, I don't really go to much past
the templates, plugins, and such that are aval at the forums.....Can you
try to poll normal items like mounted partitions to see if the poller
and snmp is working correct? Then you can at least rule it out as being
the way cacti interprets the data.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:49:51 UTC
i just added a ucd/net memory usage template might have to wait for it
to parse, its also nan. ran cmd.php a few times.

Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:54:40 UTC
hmmmmmm..........do me a favor and add snmp interface
statistics.....what is your host status in the devices page? it has to
be UP for the graphs to be created, if its UNKNOWN it wont do anything.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 17:06:01 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 2:54 AM, Nick Vetro wrote:

> hmmmmmm..........do me a favor and add snmp interface
> statistics.....what is your host status in the devices page? it has to
> be UP for the graphs to be created, if its UNKNOWN it wont do
> anything.

I dont know what you mean by adding snmp statistics, like a graph ?

it says this at the top of the device page

System: Linux hostname 2.6.24-16-server #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:15:38 UTC
2008 x86_64
Uptime: 27158699 (3 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes)
Hostname: hostname
Location: Somewhere
Contact: Root ***@localhost (configure /etc/snmp/snmpd.local.conf)
Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 17:12:33 UTC
Click on a host
Scroll down to the bottom to the Associated Data Queries (ALL the way at
the bottom)
Click Add Data Query > Interface Statistics and click save.
Then goto the top of the page and click create graphs forr this host
Scroll down to Data Query [SNMP - Interface Statistics]
and click the interface you want (prob eth0 or eth1) and then click
create all the way at the bottom.....
run the poller 4 times to create the graph and get some data, if it show
sup NAN then we will go from there.....

Also what i mean by the devices page, where ALL your hosts are listed in
collums, it shows a "up" "Down" or unknown" text in status, the host in
question shows "UP" right?

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 17:27:17 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 3:12 AM, Nick Vetro wrote:

> Click on a host
> Scroll down to the bottom to the Associated Data Queries (ALL the
> way at
> the bottom)
> Click Add Data Query > Interface Statistics and click save.
> Then goto the top of the page and click create graphs forr this host
> Scroll down to Data Query [SNMP - Interface Statistics]
> and click the interface you want (prob eth0 or eth1) and then click
> create all the way at the bottom.....
> run the poller 4 times to create the graph and get some data, if it
> show
> sup NAN then we will go from there.....
>
> Also what i mean by the devices page, where ALL your hosts are
> listed in
> collums, it shows a "up" "Down" or unknown" text in status, the host
> in
> question shows "UP" right?

Yep its up after having some nightmares with snmp configs !

I added the suggested graph, ran php cmd.php about 10 times still get
the missing datasource first. If people setting up the graphs are
suppose to wait 5-10 minutes for it to generate, maybe the docs will
have to be updated, what do you think ?

/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Localhost - Traffic - eth0" \
--rigid \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="bits per second" \
--slope-mode \
--font TITLE:12: \
--font AXIS:8: \
--font LEGEND:10: \
--font UNIT:8: \
DEF:a="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_traffic_in_122.rrd":traffic_in:AVERAGE \
DEF:b="/var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_traffic_in_122.rrd":traffic_out:AVERAGE \
CDEF:cdefa=a,8,* \
CDEF:cdeff=b,8,* \
AREA:cdefa#00CF00FF:"Inbound" \
GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefa:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefa:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s" \
COMMENT:"Total In\: 0 bytes\n" \
LINE1:cdeff#002A97FF:"Outbound" \
GPRINT:cdeff:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdeff:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdeff:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s" \
COMMENT:"Total Out\: 0 bytes"
RRDTool Says:
ERROR: opening '/var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_traffic_in_122.rrd':
No such file or directory

php cmd.php gives me this in the logs

07/29/2008 03:26:40 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] ERROR: Invalid Number of
Arguments. You must specify 0 or 2 arguments.
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 18:58:30 UTC
I spent up to a week trying to get data working before i came here, i
consider it a bug how do I report it, there is a few bugs actually.
The rrd files still do not generate, there is alot of noise on the web
about this problem but no actual fix.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 19:09:36 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 4:58 AM, Daniel Rossi wrote:

> I spent up to a week trying to get data working before i came here, i
> consider it a bug how do I report it, there is a few bugs actually.
> The rrd files still do not generate, there is alot of noise on the web
> about this problem but no actual fix.

I checked out trunk and its still doing it there. I'm running a fast
CGI / PHP5 environment if that helps at all.
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 19:56:15 UTC
it finally started to actually update some of the data anyway, but
only if i can this via command line

/usr/bin/rrdtool update /var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_137.rrd --template
ActiveConnections:TotalConnections:MaxConnections:ActiveClients:TotalClients:MaxClients:ActiveSubscopes:TotalSubscopes:MaxSubscopes
N:100:30:2:0:30:1:0:0:0

instead of this which is generated in cacti

/usr/bin/rrdtool update /var/www/web4/web/rra/
localhost_activeconnections_137.rrd --template
ActiveConnections:TotalConnections:MaxConnections:ActiveClients:TotalClients:MaxClients:ActiveSubscopes:TotalSubscopes:MaxSubscopes
actualtimestamp:100:30:2:0:30:1:0:0:0

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 20:00:58 UTC
it gets even more wierd

1217274900: 7.3571937667e+01 1.1736094033e+00 0.0000000000e+00
0.0000000000e+00 1.0000000000e+00 0.0000000000e+00 0.0000000000e+00
0.0000000000e+00 0.0000000000e+00

this is generated

from the command below, when it should be 100 not 7.37, in cacti its
showing up as 73.57.

so maybe its something wrong with the ubuntu rrdtool aswell ?

Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-28 20:14:06 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:
> it gets even more wierd

Sorry to drop in, now.
But from a short glance on this discussion, I fear that you've gone astray.

First, you will never see rrdtool action when using cmd.php and/or spine. They
will of course perform the polling but only update table "poller_output".

RRDTool action will only be performed by "poller.php".

Pay attention when running poller.php as a "normal" user. It will create rrd
files with those permissions only and "cactiuser" may fail to update those files
subsequently.

There are numerous reasons why polling may fail. Find the most popular issues at
http://docs.cacti.net in the HowTo section (HowTo Debug ...)

And please see http://forums.cacti.net for more traffic.

There are more hints about understanding RRDTOOL there as well.

Reinhard
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 20:26:27 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 6:14 AM, Reinhard Scheck wrote:

> Daniel Rossi wrote:
>> it gets even more wierd
>>

> Sorry to drop in, now.
> But from a short glance on this discussion, I fear that you've gone
> astray.
>
> First, you will never see rrdtool action when using cmd.php and/or
> spine. They
> will of course perform the polling but only update table
> "poller_output".
>
> RRDTool action will only be performed by "poller.php".
>
> Pay attention when running poller.php as a "normal" user. It will
> create rrd
> files with those permissions only and "cactiuser" may fail to update
> those files
> subsequently.
>
> There are numerous reasons why polling may fail. Find the most
> popular issues at
> http://docs.cacti.net in the HowTo section (HowTo Debug ...)

Ive been in the docs dozens of times, the howto debug is where i
started :)

So i should be running poller.php like i was so I can debug things as
root ? even as root it doesnt create the rrd files if thats what you
mean. I made a note it did start producing results but only after i
changed the timestamp manualy to N in the rrd update command, so
running the command line manually seems to update it with something at
least, but the data as i said isnt exactly coming back how i entered
it ie 7.87 instead of 100 as the value.

there is still an issue creating new datasources even as root !

Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-29 15:47:26 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:
> On 29/07/2008, at 6:14 AM, Reinhard Scheck wrote:
>
>> Daniel Rossi wrote:
>>> it gets even more wierd
>>>
>> Sorry to drop in, now.
>> But from a short glance on this discussion, I fear that you've gone
>> astray.
>>
>> First, you will never see rrdtool action when using cmd.php and/or
>> spine. They
>> will of course perform the polling but only update table
>> "poller_output".
>>
>> RRDTool action will only be performed by "poller.php".
>>
>> Pay attention when running poller.php as a "normal" user. It will
>> create rrd
>> files with those permissions only and "cactiuser" may fail to update
>> those files
>> subsequently.
>>
>> There are numerous reasons why polling may fail. Find the most
>> popular issues at
>> http://docs.cacti.net in the HowTo section (HowTo Debug ...)
>
> Ive been in the docs dozens of times, the howto debug is where i
> started :)
>
> So i should be running poller.php like i was so I can debug things as
> root ? even as root it doesnt create the rrd files if thats what you
> mean.
If you want to create rrd files, you MUST run the poller.php. cmd.php/spine do
NEVER perform ANY rrd file operation.

> I made a note it did start producing results but only after i
> changed the timestamp manualy to N in the rrd update command, so
> running the command line manually seems to update it with something at
> least,
That's interesting. If not explicitely stated (and, IMHO, cacti works this way),
rrdfiles will have a starting date/time of NOW().
For normal operation, this should be ok. Only for "back-dating" this may produce
errors.
What happens, if you manually run the update statement "as is" (with timestamp)
against the rrd file? Any error message?

> but the data as i said isnt exactly coming back how i entered
> it ie 7.87 instead of 100 as the value.
That's another issue. Let's drop it for the moment or read about "rrdtool always
stores rates" in rrdtool-users mailing list or the rrdtool documentation (It's
quite a hard task).

> there is still an issue creating new datasources even as root !
Usually, the fact that rrd files are not created is a problem with e.g. the
target not responding to cacti's "downed host detection".

Reinhard
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 20:32:34 UTC
On 29/07/2008, at 6:14 AM, Reinhard Scheck wrote:

> Daniel Rossi wrote:
>> it gets even more wierd
>>

> Sorry to drop in, now.
> But from a short glance on this discussion, I fear that you've gone
> astray.
>
> First, you will never see rrdtool action when using cmd.php and/or
> spine. They
> will of course perform the polling but only update table
> "poller_output".
>
> RRDTool action will only be performed by "poller.php".
>
> Pay attention when running poller.php as a "normal" user. It will
> create rrd
> files with those permissions only and "cactiuser" may fail to update
> those files
> subsequently.
>
> There are numerous reasons why polling may fail. Find the most
> popular issues at
> http://docs.cacti.net in the HowTo section (HowTo Debug ...)

sorry i forgot to add the output, i add a graph, run cmp.php +
poller.php

php poller.php
07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: Poller Int: '60',
Cron Int: '60', Time Since Last: '2584', Max Runtime '58', Poller
Runs: '1'
07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of
sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '60' seconds,
with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 2584 seconds have passed
since the last poll!
07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 5]
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'ActiveConnections:0' [map ActiveConnections->ActiveConnections]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'TotalConnections:31' [map TotalConnections->TotalConnections]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'MaxConnections:1' [map MaxConnections->MaxConnections]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'ActiveClients:0' [map ActiveClients->ActiveClients]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'TotalClients:31' [map TotalClients->TotalClients]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'MaxClients:1' [map MaxClients->MaxClients]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'ActiveSubscopes:0' [map ActiveSubscopes->ActiveSubscopes]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'TotalSubscopes:0' [map TotalSubscopes->TotalSubscopes]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'MaxSubscopes:0' [map MaxSubscopes->MaxSubscopes]
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool
update /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_activeconnections_137.rrd --
template
ActiveConnections:TotalConnections:MaxConnections:ActiveClients:TotalClients:MaxClients:ActiveSubscopes:TotalSubscopes:MaxSubscopes
1217276830:0:31:1:0:31:1:0:0:0
OK u:0.00 s:0.01 r:1.00
07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1127 Method:spine
Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:1
RRDsProcessed:1
Loop Time is: 1.1142411231995
Sleep Time is: 58.883410930634
Total Time is: 1.1165890693665

***@beasty:/var/www/cacti.electroteque.org/web# php cmd.php
07/29/2008 06:28:14 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[5] PING: Host is alive
07/29/2008 06:28:15 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[5] DS[138] CMD: /var/
www/web4/web/scripts/JMXManager/red5manager.sh -h localhost -b
java.lang:type=Runtime -c Uptime, output: Uptime:343187794
07/29/2008 06:28:15 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 0.5784 s, Theads: N/
A, Hosts: 1

This command relfects the data for the new datasource, but no file
created

07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: Poller Int: '60',
Cron Int: '60', Time Since Last: '86', Max Runtime '58', Poller Runs:
'1'
07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of
sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '60' seconds,
with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 86 seconds have passed
since the last poll!
07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 5]
07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1094 Method:spine
Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
Loop Time is: 0.11368989944458
Sleep Time is: 59.88418006897
Total Time is: 0.11581993103027

Nothing in here either again

the path is suppose to be something like this

<path_rra>/localhost_vmversion_138.rrd
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-29 04:58:26 UTC

FYI, when adding new graphs you have to wait a certain ammount of time
depending on what the interval time is set which is 5 mins or
something like that. I seriouslly suggest generate them automatically
or add this comment in the docs somewhere. I am an experience user so
something has gone wrong there. I waited 5 mins, ran the poller to see
what output it would have an then the rrd file was generated so sorry
about the noise.

I am however having issues still with either getting data into the rrd
or getting it out, the graphs show up nan unless i run rrdtool update
manually.
Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-29 15:55:48 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:

> FYI, when adding new graphs you have to wait a certain ammount of time
> depending on what the interval time is set which is 5 mins or
> something like that.
It's always assumed that crontab is set up correctly. Then, rrd file generation
is kinda automatic.

> I seriouslly suggest generate them automatically
> or add this comment in the docs somewhere.
Sure. Any suggestion where to put it best?

> I am an experience user so
> something has gone wrong there. I waited 5 mins, ran the poller to see
> what output it would have an then the rrd file was generated so sorry
> about the noise.
The poller.php is the only one that generates rrd files (and updates them). They
are not generated by the apache user (security issues when allowing httpd to
create files)

> I am however having issues still with either getting data into the rrd
> or getting it out, the graphs show up nan unless i run rrdtool update
> manually.

So, to sum up, you've now managed to create rrd files successfully by means of
the poller.php. Anything that prevents you from setting up crontab, then? This
will avoid many issues.

Reinhard
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-29 16:09:05 UTC
On 30/07/2008, at 1:55 AM, Reinhard Scheck wrote:

> So, to sum up, you've now managed to create rrd files successfully
> by means of
> the poller.php. Anything that prevents you from setting up crontab,
> then? This
> will avoid many issues.

I turned it off to debug things. Its creating them but either once
running poller.php dozens of times or wait 5 mins !

My issue now is storing and displaying data correctly, ie i want to
graph totals and not have rrd do any funny calculations. I can see
wierd things in the created rrd files when a value of 100 becomes 1.9
or something like that. Even though ive set that field as a counter.
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-29 17:33:57 UTC
Its doing it again even though ive ran poller.php manually a dozen
times after adding new graphs. It would be good to see how the graph
is generated right away when adding it. ive waited over 30 mins and
ran poller.php quite a few times, maybe i should wait longer ?

ERROR: opening '/var/www/web4/web/rra/www8_activeconnections_159.rrd':
No such file or directory

Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-29 17:44:33 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:
> Its doing it again even though ive ran poller.php manually a dozen
> times after adding new graphs. It would be good to see how the graph
> is generated right away when adding it. ive waited over 30 mins and
> ran poller.php quite a few times, maybe i should wait longer ?
No. Only one run of poller.php is required to create the rrd file IF the target
is responsive and the requested data source provides valid data.
Run the poller in debug mode to get more info about what may fail

Reinhard
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-29 17:55:19 UTC
It has been in debug mode here is the last result

07/30/2008 03:52:50 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'TotalSwapSpaceSize:3989250048' [map TotalSwapSpaceSize-
>TotalSwapSpaceSize]
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'FreeSwapSpaceSize:3989250048' [map FreeSwapSpaceSize-
>FreeSwapSpaceSize]
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'FreePhysicalMemorySize:1147408384' [map FreePhysicalMemorySize-
>FreeMemorySize]
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
'TotalPhysicalMemorySize:4155834368' [map TotalPhysicalMemorySize-
>TotalMemorySize]
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool
update /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_totalswapspacesize_156.rrd --
template
TotalSwapSpaceSize:FreeSwapSpaceSize:FreeMemorySize:TotalMemorySize
1217353970:3989250048:3989250048:1147408384:4155834368
07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1141 Method:spine
Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:1
OK u:0.00 s:0.00 r:1.00
Loop Time is: 1.11492395401
Sleep Time is: 8.88507604599
Total Time is: 31.116046905518
07/30/2008 03:53:00 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
07/30/2008 03:53:01 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1103 Method:spine
Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
Loop Time is: 1.1113040447235
Sleep Time is: 8.8886959552765
Total Time is: 41.11278796196
07/30/2008 03:53:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
07/30/2008 03:53:11 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1098 Method:spine
Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
RRDsProcessed:0
Loop Time is: 1.1108620166779
Sleep Time is: 8.8891379833221
Total Time is: 51.112715005875

The host for the new graphs is up, but i have set it to ping instead
of snmp because i do not know its snmp info yet.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-29 18:42:27 UTC
i deleted all graphs, and create each graph again one at a time. So
create graph, run poller etc. I also think the issue with the cron is
that the web user for the site is within a chroot, so not sure if
cron attemps to log the user in first to run the commands or not. I
will try to setup cron as root for now.

Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-29 18:44:29 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:
> It has been in debug mode here is the last result
>
> 07/30/2008 03:52:50 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
> Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
> Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
This DEBUG is incomplete.
At least the call of the polling script/snmp get is missing

> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'TotalSwapSpaceSize:3989250048' [map TotalSwapSpaceSize-
> >TotalSwapSpaceSize]
> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'FreeSwapSpaceSize:3989250048' [map FreeSwapSpaceSize-
> >FreeSwapSpaceSize]
> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'FreePhysicalMemorySize:1147408384' [map FreePhysicalMemorySize-
> >FreeMemorySize]
> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'TotalPhysicalMemorySize:4155834368' [map TotalPhysicalMemorySize-
> >TotalMemorySize]
> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool
> update /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_totalswapspacesize_156.rrd --
> template
> TotalSwapSpaceSize:FreeSwapSpaceSize:FreeMemorySize:TotalMemorySize
> 1217353970:3989250048:3989250048:1147408384:4155834368
> 07/30/2008 03:52:51 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1141 Method:spine
> Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
> RRDsProcessed:1
The 1 RRDsProcessed is /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_totalswapspacesize_156.rrd

BTB: Threads=100 is insane. Set to 12 ... 15
> OK u:0.00 s:0.00 r:1.00
> Loop Time is: 1.11492395401
> Sleep Time is: 8.88507604599
> Total Time is: 31.116046905518
> 07/30/2008 03:53:00 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
> Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
> Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
> 07/30/2008 03:53:01 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1103 Method:spine
> Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
> RRDsProcessed:0
> Loop Time is: 1.1113040447235
> Sleep Time is: 8.8886959552765
> Total Time is: 41.11278796196
> 07/30/2008 03:53:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
> Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 6]
> Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
> 07/30/2008 03:53:11 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1098 Method:spine
> Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:3 HostsPerProcess:3 DataSources:0
> RRDsProcessed:0
> Loop Time is: 1.1108620166779
> Sleep Time is: 8.8891379833221
> Total Time is: 51.112715005875
>

> The host for the new graphs is up, but i have set it to ping instead
> of snmp because i do not know its snmp info yet.
Ahh. This may cause issues!
PHP ping requires root privileges (IMHO not recommended). You're using cacti
087*? Then, please deactivate downed host detection (edit the host, set this
option to NONE), until you know the SNMP data

Reinhard

BTB: we may discuss issues on the IRC channel #Cacti instead of mailing every
other minute
Reinhard Scheck
2008-07-29 15:51:53 UTC
Daniel Rossi wrote:
> On 29/07/2008, at 6:14 AM, Reinhard Scheck wrote:
>
>> Daniel Rossi wrote:
>>> it gets even more wierd
>>>
>> Sorry to drop in, now.
>> But from a short glance on this discussion, I fear that you've gone
>> astray.
>>
>> First, you will never see rrdtool action when using cmd.php and/or
>> spine. They
>> will of course perform the polling but only update table
>> "poller_output".
>>
>> RRDTool action will only be performed by "poller.php".
>>
>> Pay attention when running poller.php as a "normal" user. It will
>> create rrd
>> files with those permissions only and "cactiuser" may fail to update
>> those files
>> subsequently.
>>
>> There are numerous reasons why polling may fail. Find the most
>> popular issues at
>> http://docs.cacti.net in the HowTo section (HowTo Debug ...)
>

> sorry i forgot to add the output, i add a graph, run cmp.php +
> poller.php
>
> php poller.php
> 07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: Poller Int: '60',
> Cron Int: '60', Time Since Last: '2584', Max Runtime '58', Poller
> Runs: '1'
> 07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of
> sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '60' seconds,
> with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 2584 seconds have passed
> since the last poll!
This error happens if the poller is run only from time to time. Avoid it by
running "php -q poller.php --force"

> 07/29/2008 06:27:10 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
> Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 5]
> Waiting on 1/1 pollers.
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'ActiveConnections:0' [map ActiveConnections->ActiveConnections]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'TotalConnections:31' [map TotalConnections->TotalConnections]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'MaxConnections:1' [map MaxConnections->MaxConnections]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'ActiveClients:0' [map ActiveClients->ActiveClients]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'TotalClients:31' [map TotalClients->TotalClients]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'MaxClients:1' [map MaxClients->MaxClients]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'ActiveSubscopes:0' [map ActiveSubscopes->ActiveSubscopes]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'TotalSubscopes:0' [map TotalSubscopes->TotalSubscopes]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] Parsed MULTI output field
> 'MaxSubscopes:0' [map MaxSubscopes->MaxSubscopes]
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool
> update /var/www/web4/web/rra/localhost_activeconnections_137.rrd --
> template
> ActiveConnections:TotalConnections:MaxConnections:ActiveClients:TotalClients:MaxClients:ActiveSubscopes:TotalSubscopes:MaxSubscopes
> 1217276830:0:31:1:0:31:1:0:0:0
> OK u:0.00 s:0.01 r:1.00
So this update seems to work fine. Is the file in place?
> 07/29/2008 06:27:11 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:1.1127 Method:spine
> Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:1
> RRDsProcessed:1
> Loop Time is: 1.1142411231995
> Sleep Time is: 58.883410930634
> Total Time is: 1.1165890693665
>

> ***@beasty:/var/www/cacti.electroteque.org/web# php cmd.php
> 07/29/2008 06:28:14 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[5] PING: Host is alive
Which downed host detection is used for that host?

> 07/29/2008 06:28:15 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[5] DS[138] CMD: /var/
> www/web4/web/scripts/JMXManager/red5manager.sh -h localhost -b
> java.lang:type=Runtime -c Uptime, output: Uptime:343187794
> 07/29/2008 06:28:15 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 0.5784 s, Theads: N/
> A, Hosts: 1
>

> This command relfects the data for the new datasource, but no file
> created
cmd.php will NEVER create a new rrd file

> 07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] NOTE: Poller Int: '60',
> Cron Int: '60', Time Since Last: '86', Max Runtime '58', Poller Runs:
> '1'
> 07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of
> sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '60' seconds,
> with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 86 seconds have passed
> since the last poll!
> 07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: About to Spawn a
> Remote Process [CMD: /usr/bin/spine, ARGS: 0 5]
> 07/29/2008 06:28:36 AM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:0.1094 Method:spine
> Processes:1 Threads:100 Hosts:2 HostsPerProcess:2 DataSources:0
> RRDsProcessed:0
> Loop Time is: 0.11368989944458
> Sleep Time is: 59.88418006897
> Total Time is: 0.11581993103027
>

> Nothing in here either again
>
> the path is suppose to be something like this
>
> <path_rra>/localhost_vmversion_138.rrd

Again, spine will never create an rrd file.
Get more debugging info by running

./spine --verbosity=5 ...

Reinhard
Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 17:32:46 UTC
looks like just running php cmd.php on its own works not cmd.php --force

php cmd.php
07/29/2008 03:30:25 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] PHP Script Server Started
Properly
07/29/2008 03:30:25 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] SNMP: Host
responded to SNMP
^[[A07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[100] CMD: /
var/www/web4/web/scripts/JMXManager/red5manager.sh -h localhost -b
org.red5.server:type=GlobalScope,name=default -c ActiveConnections -c
TotalConnections -c MaxConnections -c ActiveClients -c TotalClients -c
MaxClients -c ActiveSubscopes -c TotalSubscopes -c MaxSubscopes,
output: ActiveConnections:0 TotalConnections:27 MaxConnections:1
ActiveClients:0 TotalClients:27 MaxClients:1 ActiveSubscopes:0
TotalSubscopes:0 MaxSubscopes:0
07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[103] SNMP: v2:
localhost, dsname: mem_free, oid: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.6.0, output:
1064716
07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[117] SERVER: /
var/www/web4/web/scripts/ss_host_cpu.php ss_host_cpu localhost 1
2:161:500:mycommunity:snmpuser:snmpduser:MD5::DES: get usage 2,
output: 3
07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[122] SNMP: v2:
localhost, dsname: traffic_out, oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.4, output:
1745602190
07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[122] SNMP: v2:
localhost, dsname: traffic_in, oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.4, output:
3371771772
07/29/2008 03:30:26 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 0.7786 s, Theads: N/
A, Hosts: 1

Its still showing nan for the traffic graph for instance, all are nan,
it's odd, because ive been messing around for a while, and some
datasources will graph and then some wont.

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:44:12 UTC
Would this have anything to do with it

Jul 25 23:53:17 beasty kernel: [5595009.822899] rrdtool[27572]:
segfault at 0 rip 7f517c047535 rsp 7fff84483b20 error 6
Jul 25 23:53:43 beasty kernel: [5595035.376329] rrdtool[27586]:
segfault at 0 rip 7f37bd650535 rsp 7fffc5a8f130 error 6
Jul 25 23:53:43 beasty kernel: [5595035.546784] rrdtool[27587]:
segfault at 0 rip 7ff5afc5d535 rsp 7fffb8099730 error 6

I'm on ubuntu 64bit server.
Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 16:49:58 UTC
Do me a favor....do an:

ldd rrdtool

so run ldd on the rrdtool binary....i want to see if you have any
library linking issues showing "File not Found" perhaps rrdtool is
missing something....

Daniel Rossi
2008-07-28 16:58:34 UTC
***@beasty:/var/www/cacti.electroteque.org/web# php cmd.php
07/29/2008 02:54:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] PHP Script Server Started
Properly
07/29/2008 02:54:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] PING: Host is alive
07/29/2008 02:54:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Host[1] DS[118] SERVER: /
var/www/web4/web/scripts/ss_host_cpu.php ss_host_cpu localhost 1
2:161:500:mycommunity:snmpuser:snmpduser:MD5::DES: get usage 3,
output: 1
07/29/2008 02:54:03 AM - CMDPHP: Poller[0] Time: 0.1385 s, Theads: N/
A, Hosts: 2

I believe the filenot founds is because if the cmd.php script is
suppose to generate them, it does not. have to do it manually.

linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fffa55fe000)
librrd.so.2 => /usr/lib/librrd.so.2 (0x00007f1a9d07c000)
libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0x00007f1a9ce57000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007f1a9cc40000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f1a9c9bf000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f1a9c65d000)
libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007f1a9c3de000)
libart_lgpl_2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so.2 (0x00007f1a9c1c6000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f1a9d2c8000)

looks like its missing something here maybe ?

Nick Vetro
2008-07-28 17:02:55 UTC
nahh your rrdtool looks fine..........whats the status of your hosts in
devices...are they listed as "UP" in green?

Daniel Rossi
2008-08-04 11:26:56 UTC
Hi sorry this is still unresolved. I had to spend the whole week
trying to configure SNMP on one of the windows 2003 server machines.
It works out that a filtering configure on port 161 is in there by
default ready for installing the default snmp service which i had no
idea it had. SNMP is up, i ran poller a dozen times but the data
sources still don't get generated. This is from a remote host the
server running cacti is. The device is up

System: Windows host 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Server 2003 Standard
Edition EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Uptime: 146743 (0 days, 0 hours, 24 minutes)
Hostname: host
Location: NY
Contact: Root ***@localhost

Can anyone else replicate this at all ?